Workplace address: John Sleeth Community Centre, 7, Academy Sutton, QC J0E 2K0
The Sutton Volunteer Centre (CAB Sutton) is an autonomous community organization dedicated to strengthening the social fabric of the communities of Sutton & Abercorn, by offering services and supporting volunteering. Our fields of action include: building community through volunteering, improving food security and providing support and services to seniors & families.
Under the director’s supervision, a Family Outreach Worker provides assertive outreach support to Sutton & Abercorn families, specifically targeting vulnerable and isolated families with an emphasis on engaging the English-speaking members of this demographic. The Family Outreach Worker helps the target population access services and make connections within the community. The successful candidate will also organize and carry out individual and group sessions aimed at building trust and sharing information on local resources and support avenues. A Family Outreach Worker provides tools to foster empowerment and accompanies individuals in accessing the services they need. A CAB Family Outreach Worker will work closely with the team, represent the CAB Sutton and participate in various events. He or she will also ensure administrative follow-ups related to their role and responsibilities.
1. FAMILY OUTREACH WORKER
- Reach out to the target groups to evaluate their needs, discuss challenges, and offer encouragement and personalized assistance.
- Empower families by providing information, support and directing them towards existing health and social services and other local resources available in Sutton, Abercorn and Brome-Missisquoi.
- Participate in planning, organizing and animating various community activities and ensuring that these reflect the needs of the target groups.
- Be available to listen and make referrals by phone or email, on Facebook, at the CAB and within the community.
2. REPRESENTATION & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Maintain relationships with community organizations, particularly health and social services providers, to ensure that their services are available in English and represent the needs of the target groups.
- Represent the Sutton Volunteer Centre in contacts with other organizations and partners.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS & TEAM WORK
- Keep statistics, prepare reports and files.
- Attend team meetings and participate in collaborative projects.
Experience & Background Requirements (education, skills and knowledge)
- College-level degree in Social Work, Special Education, or the equivalent in training or in years of hands-on experience in community work
- Excellent communication skills in English and French
- A love for working with people
- Ability to respond to a crisis situation in collaboration with service providers and partners
- Openness and empathy
- Professional autonomy
- Team player
- Ability to connect easily and to build relationships
- Computer literate: Mastery of office tools (Office Suite) and knowledge of the Internet (Facebook, Google tools, Monday.com an asset)
- Familiar with the Brome- Missisquoi community
Type of job: Temporary full-time, 25-30 hours/week for 52 weeks (renewable for a second year)
Hours: Daytime hours. However, the outreach worker could be called upon, on occasion, to work in the evening, on the weekend, or even overtime, in order to take part in various activities or represent the CAB.
Travel: The nature of the job requires regular travel, mainly in and around Sutton and Abercorn.
Salary: Between 17 $ /h and 20 $ /h
Interested candidates must send CV and a letter of intent by e-mail (email@example.com) no later than Friday, November 15 2019.
We will acknowledge receipt of applications, however, only successful applicants will be contacted.